I like Lewisville Estates because all of the people are so friendly. The games are fun and there is always something to do. I enjoy going out to the garden and watching the fish and birds; some of us got to see a roadrunner. I had never seen one before so that was exciting. There is also a hummingbird and a green parakeet.
“The Talk” is Different Now That You are Grown Back
Stop and remember for a second when you were growing up and as you were playing you would see your parents cleaning the house and mowing the yard. They took such pride in their home. They built a home that was safe for their children and that would carry such great memories for them of the lives you all shared. Now… You are telling your parent that they must leave the safety of this home and those memories to move into a strange new place with other people their age. This is NOT an easy feat. There is hope though! Here are a few tips to help you have the talk.
- There is a control issue at stake here. Keep in mind that they may feel that they are not in control of many things at this point in their life. It isn’t an easy transition so tread lightly when bringing it up. Make sure you focus on the positives of moving.
- You only have to cook if you want to – assisted living facilities have chef prepared meals every day
- You get to make new friends and they are not far so you don’t have to try and get a ride or wait for the bus. You will all live in the same community. There are gardens and walking paths as well as activity rooms.
- You don’t have to be bored all the time or only have television shows as an option for entertainment. Assisted Living facilities have planned resident events, socials and activities. They even have craft rooms and libraries for your enjoyment!
- You don’t have to be worried if something happens to you in the middle of the night (or day). Assisted Livings have 24 hour staffing and on site nurses. 24-Hour emergency response in the apartment homes will make it so much easier for you to get help quickly if you need it.
- You don’t have to take care of your yard or even cleaning your home all the time. You can actually enjoy your days because they have weekly housekeeping and weekly flat linen & towel service. They maintain all landscaping and keep it beautiful.
- You aren’t going to lose your puppy or kitty. Some assisted living facilities are pet friendly.
If you automatically focus on the positive side of what matters to them, it will ease their nerves about it. Be prepared however to have examples of things that they may have experienced that will show they may need the Assisted Living community more than they think. It is hard to admit we need help but in the long run, they will thank you for it. It will change their lives for the better!