I have lived at Lewisville Estates for ten months. It was a major decision for me, coming from my own home of many years, to a smaller space and community setting. I have not once regretted the move. The staff is very accommodating; the residents are friendly and welcoming. When wanted or needed, activities are available. This is now Home!
“The Talk” is Different Now That You are Grown Back
Stop and remember for a second when you were growing up and as you were playing you would see your parents cleaning the house and mowing the yard. They took such pride in their home. They built a home that was safe for their children and that would carry such great memories for them of the lives you all shared. Now… You are telling your parent that they must leave the safety of this home and those memories to move into a strange new place with other people their age. This is NOT an easy feat. There is hope though! Here are a few tips to help you have the talk.
- There is a control issue at stake here. Keep in mind that they may feel that they are not in control of many things at this point in their life. It isn’t an easy transition so tread lightly when bringing it up. Make sure you focus on the positives of moving.
- You only have to cook if you want to – assisted living facilities have chef prepared meals every day
- You get to make new friends and they are not far so you don’t have to try and get a ride or wait for the bus. You will all live in the same community. There are gardens and walking paths as well as activity rooms.
- You don’t have to be bored all the time or only have television shows as an option for entertainment. Assisted Living facilities have planned resident events, socials and activities. They even have craft rooms and libraries for your enjoyment!
- You don’t have to be worried if something happens to you in the middle of the night (or day). Assisted Livings have 24 hour staffing and on site nurses. 24-Hour emergency response in the apartment homes will make it so much easier for you to get help quickly if you need it.
- You don’t have to take care of your yard or even cleaning your home all the time. You can actually enjoy your days because they have weekly housekeeping and weekly flat linen & towel service. They maintain all landscaping and keep it beautiful.
- You aren’t going to lose your puppy or kitty. Some assisted living facilities are pet friendly.
If you automatically focus on the positive side of what matters to them, it will ease their nerves about it. Be prepared however to have examples of things that they may have experienced that will show they may need the Assisted Living community more than they think. It is hard to admit we need help but in the long run, they will thank you for it. It will change their lives for the better!
When we arrived at Lewisville Estates ten months ago, we were quite apprehensive to begin a whole new way of life in our old age. However, we were warmly greeted by residents and staff alike. We were most pleasantly surprised with our new apartment and quickly settled into our new home. We have been very contented and happy here.
I like Lewisville Estates because all of the people are so friendly. The games are fun and there is always something to do. I enjoy going out to the garden and watching the fish and birds; some of us got to see a roadrunner. I had never seen one before so that was exciting. There is also a hummingbird and a green parakeet.
I am so blessed to be able to live in such a wonderful place as this for the past 21 months. The food is great, the staff is so helpful and friendly, and the other residents are great people. We have so many activities here so we never get bored or lonely. Another thing I enjoy here is the weekly housekeeping service; I don't have to clean the bathroom, vacuum, or change the bed linens anymore. I can enjoy all of the fun things and they take care of the work!
My mother has been a resident at Lewisville Estates for about four years and recently we had to move her because she needed more care. It was regrettable that we had to move because we had grown to consider Lewisville Estates home. That is about the greatest compliment I can give to the staff at Lewisville Estates and the management at Tarantino Properties. Home is a place where one can feel comfortable, at peace and surrounded by loving, caring people. We found that at Lewisville Estates and are very grateful to every person there.