I have lived at Lewisville Estates for ten months. It was a major decision for me, coming from my own home of many years, to a smaller space and community setting. I have not once regretted the move. The staff is very accommodating; the residents are friendly and welcoming. When wanted or needed, activities are available. This is now Home!
Beat the Winter Blues Back
It is easy to feel blue during the wintertime. SAD, or seasonal affective disorder may be to blame. It affects us during the late fall and early winter months because there is less sunshine due to the weather and the time change. Not only is there less sunshine, the temperature is also colder, often making it uncomfortable to spend long periods of time outside. Here are a few ways to combat the winter blues in time for the holidays.
· A great way to beat the winter blues is to spend time with friends and family. Whether in person, over the phone or Skype, taking the time to visit with the people you love will always leave you in a better mood.
· The holidays are the perfect time to help fight the winter blues. Enjoy a delicious cup of hot chocolate, bake or decorate Christmas cookies, attend a holiday party, or go on a trip to view Christmas lights. There are many great holiday ideas that will put a smile on your face.
· Enjoy the sunshine when you can. Bundle up if it is cold and go for a walk outside when the sun is out. Spending time outdoors and getting fresh air will help to rejuvenate you and is sure to enhance your mood. Be sure to limit your time outside if it is very cold outside to avoid getting sick.
· Do something creative. Spend some of your time working on a fun craft project like ornaments, wreaths, or go even further and learn to knit a blanket. A fun project will take your mind off feeling sad and will channel your thoughts to the craft you are working on.
· Enjoy some of your favorites. When you are feeling down, revisiting some of your favorites can be an easy way to lift your spirits. Watch a favorite movie or listen to music you enjoy. It can be Christmas themed and festive or otherwise.
· Attend a church service.
· Most importantly, take time for yourself. Spend time doing the things you love, but also take the time to relax. The holidays can get stressful and busy, so using your spare time to unwind is a great idea. Also take the time to take care of yourself. It is easy to feel down when are aren’t 100%. Make sure that you are getting enough sleep, eating well, and exercising a few times a week. The exercise is especially important if you plan on indulging in holiday treats or drinks.
It is important to make an appointment to see your doctor if you are struggling with depression or if your seasonal affective disorder extends past the winter months.
We hope you have a wonderful holiday season!
When we arrived at Lewisville Estates ten months ago, we were quite apprehensive to begin a whole new way of life in our old age. However, we were warmly greeted by residents and staff alike. We were most pleasantly surprised with our new apartment and quickly settled into our new home. We have been very contented and happy here.
I like Lewisville Estates because all of the people are so friendly. The games are fun and there is always something to do. I enjoy going out to the garden and watching the fish and birds; some of us got to see a roadrunner. I had never seen one before so that was exciting. There is also a hummingbird and a green parakeet.
I am so blessed to be able to live in such a wonderful place as this for the past 21 months. The food is great, the staff is so helpful and friendly, and the other residents are great people. We have so many activities here so we never get bored or lonely. Another thing I enjoy here is the weekly housekeeping service; I don't have to clean the bathroom, vacuum, or change the bed linens anymore. I can enjoy all of the fun things and they take care of the work!
My mother has been a resident at Lewisville Estates for about four years and recently we had to move her because she needed more care. It was regrettable that we had to move because we had grown to consider Lewisville Estates home. That is about the greatest compliment I can give to the staff at Lewisville Estates and the management at Tarantino Properties. Home is a place where one can feel comfortable, at peace and surrounded by loving, caring people. We found that at Lewisville Estates and are very grateful to every person there.